Anna and I have found a new activity group to explore. It's called Mother Goose, and it meets every other week at our local mall. Knoxville has many free activities for pre-schoolers, but this one is quickly becoming a favorite of ours. Besides story time, rhymes, and music, the program uses different toys for sensory development, and the groups are led by child development specialists, so the leaders tell you the purpose of each activity.
Yesterday we tried the "crawlers" group for the first time, and while most of the kids are more mobile than Anna, she had a great time. They used streamers, Fisher Price Peek-a-block toys, and these wonderful balls that were about the size of soccer balls but with oversized covers so that they were very soft and easy to hold onto. Anna loved squeezing and catching these balls. They also have a large crawl-through tunnel that I'm sure Anna will enjoy when she's older. She also liked watching the other kids and even interacting a little bit. One little girl accidentally bonked Anna in the head, and she hesitated for a moment, but then decided she was fine. That's big progress for her!
Today we went to our Friday library group and during playtime, I set Anna down on the floor with the other kids and she crawled right into the fray to find some toys to play with. Other than looking back at me a couple times to make sure I was still there, she played contentedly on the floor while I chatted with another mom. Between this and her successful stay at the church nursery last Sunday, I feel like my little girl is growing up [sniff].
My New Years' resolution is to remember to start bringing the camera to these play groups.
No comments:
Post a Comment